The engraving on the opposite page, is a view (looking to the northward) in the central part of the village, showing the Unitarian Congregational church, and some other public buildings. The ancient house, which escaped destruction at the time the Indians burnt the town in 1704, is seen in the distance, standing a few feet westward of the church. Deerfield is principally an agricultural town. In 1837, there was one manufactory of cutlery, which employed seventy hands; the value of cutlery manufactured was $100,000. The value of palm-leaf hats manufactured was $7,800 ; the value of corn brooms made was $10,990; the value of pocket-books, &c., $11,000. Population, 1,952. Distance, 3 miles south from Greenfield, 18 miles north of Northampton, 60 to Hartford, Conn., and 95 from Boston.
Monument and Sugar-loaf Mountain, Deerfield.
The above is a north-western view of the monument at Bloody Brook, erected in memory of Capt. Lathrop and his men, who fell on this spot, in an ambuscade of the Indians. This monument stands perhaps 30 or 40 rods southerly from the Congregational church. South-easterly from the monument is seen Sugar-loaf Mountain, a conical peak of red sand-stone, about 650 feet in height. In 1835, the 160th anniversary of the destruction of Capt. Lathrop and his men was commemorated in this place. The Hon. Edward Everett, now governor of Massachusetts, was appointed orator for the occasion, and General Epaphas Hoyt, of Deerfield, was appointed to make the address at the laying of the corner stone for the monument. About six thousand persons were present on this occasion. Governor Everett delivered address under a walnut tree, a few rods eastward of the monument, the top of which is seen rising between the two mountainous elevations in the back ground. About forty years after Capt. Lathrop and his men were killed, a rude monument was erected to their memory, but the different occupants of the soil removed it so many times, that it was a matter of uncertainty where he or his men were