THIS town was incorporated in 1814; previous to which it formed a part of the towns of Greenwich and Belchertown. The first minister was the Rev. Joshua Crosby, who was a chaplain in the Revolutionary war. The next pastor was Rev. Sumner G. Clapp, who was settled here in 1828, and resigned in 1837. Rev. John Whiton was the next minister.
This town is watered by two branches of Swift river, a main branch of the Chicopee, and is an important stream for manufacturing purposes. In 1837, there were two cotton mills ; the value of cotton goods manufactured was $8,000. Two woollen mills, five sets of machinery; 150,000 yards of cloth were manufactured, valued at $100,000; twenty-five males and twenty-five females were employed. The value of boots and shoes manufactured was $11,729. Sixty thousand palm-leaf hats were manufactured, valued at $12,000. Value of wool cards manufactured, $35,000; twelve males and six females were employed; capital invested, $20,000; value of cotton batting and wicking manufactured, $10,000. Population, 1,058. Distance from Northampton, 15 miles, 5 from Ware, and 75 from Boston.
THIS town, formerly the second parish in South Hadley, was , incorporated as a town in 1768. The original Congregational church in the place was organized in 1762, and Rev. Simon Backus was settled as pastor the same year. He continued here till 1784. His successor, Rev. Benjamin Chapman, was settled in 1790, and died in 1804 ; he was succeeded by Rev. Elijah Gridley. In 1821, the church was divided, and two churches constituted, called the East and West churches. The division grew out of a difficulty respecting the location of a meeting-house. "At the time of division, the West church had 130 members, and the East 144. An attempt was made, in the spring of 1836, to unite the churches. By this effort, a portion of the West church, with their minister, were transferred to the East. A portion still remain. The West church has, perhaps, about 40 members. The East church has 281 members."