then superannuated, probably remained in his secluded chamber."*
The following inscriptions were copied from monuments in the grave-yard in this town:
REVEREND RVSSELLS REMAINS, WHO FIRST GATHERED, AND FOR 33 YEARS FAITHFVLLY GOVERNED THE FLOCK OF CHRIST IN HADLEY, TIL THE CHIEF SHEPHERD SVDDENLY CALLED HIM OFF TO RECEIVE HIS REWARD, IN THE 66 YEAR OF HIS AGE, DECEMBER 10, 1692.
REBECKAH, MADE BY GOD A MEIT HELP TO MR. IOHN RVSSELL, AND FELLOW LABOVRER IN CHRIST'S WORK; A WISE, VERTVOVS, PIOVS MOTHER IN ISRAEL LYES HERE, IN FVLL ASSVRANCE OF A JOYFVL RESVRRECTION. SHE DIED IN THE 57 YEAR OF HER AGE, NOVEMBER 21, 1688.
To the memory of John Webster, Esq., one of the first settlers of Hartford, in Connecticut, who was many years a magistrate or assistant, & afterwards Deputy Governor of that Colony, & in 1659, with three sons, Robert, William & Thomas, associated with others in the purchase and settlement of Hadley, where he died in 1665. + This monument is erected, in 1818, by his descendant, Noah Webster, of Amherst.
In memory of Mrs. Sarah Marsh, wife of Ebenezer Marsh, who departed
this life January ye 31, 1794, in the 66 year of her age.
Prudence is an eveness of soul,
A steady temper, which no cares controul,
No passions ruffle, no desires inflame,
Still constant to itself, & still the same.
Here lies the body of the rev. ISAAC CHAUNCY, pastor of the first church in Hadley, who was of a truly peaceable and catholic spirit, a good scholar, an eloquent orator, an able divine, a lively, pathetic preacher, a burning and shining light in this candlestick, an exemplary christian, an Israelite indeed, in whom was no guile. He departed this life 2 May, A. D. 1745, aetat. 74.
HATFIELD is one of the oldest settlements in the county, and was originally included within the bounds of Hadley. It was incorporated in 1670. The Rev. Hope Atherton appears to have been the first minster. Mr. Atherton died in 1679, aged 33. He was succeeded by Rev. Nathaniel Chauncy. Mr. Chauncy died in 1685, and was suceeded by Rev. William Williams, who died in 1741. Rev. Timothy Woodbridge was installed here in 1740, and was succeeded by Rev. Joseph Lyman, D. D., in 1772. Dr. Lyman died in 1828, and was succeeded by Rev. Jared B. Waterbury, in 1827, who was succeeded by Rev. Levi Pratt, in 1830. This is a fine agricultural town, and noted for its raising fine beef cattle. A part of the township is a pine plain, a part intervals of the first quality, and the remaining part valuable upland. The principal village lies on an interval opposite the north end of Hadley, at the distance of one mile and a half. There is one Congregational church. Population, 937. Distance, 5 miles north of Northamp
* Hoyt's Indian Wars, p. 135.
+ This is an error; it should be 1661.