and 130 N. W. of Boston. Number of inhabitants, 232. It is stated that no religious society has yet been formed in the place. In 1837, there were 400 Saxony, 600 merino, and 103 other kinds of sheep; the average weight of whose fleeces were three and one fourth pounds.
MONTAGUE was incorporated as a town in 1753. Before that time, the southern part belonged to the town of Sunderland and the northern part belonged to the state. It is about 6 miles square. The general face of the town is uneven, the soil various; a range of highlands in the easterly part of the town, the parts of which
North-west view of Montague, (central part.)
are designated by different names, Harvey's Hill, Chesnut Hill, Bald Hill, Pine Hill, Quarry Hill, &c. South-westerly from the present center of the town there is a hill called Taylor Hill. The northerly part consists of pine plains; on the west of the town, bordering upon the Connecticut, there is quite an extensive tract of meadow land, of a good quality for cultivation. There is also upon the Saw-mill river, which takes its rise from Lock's Pond, Shutesbury, considerable meadow land. This river enters the town of Montague near the south-east corner, and winds its way in a north-westerly direction, passing northerly of the center of the town, and empties itself into the Connecticut, about one mile from the south-west corner of the town. The town affords many excellent water privileges. Timber, clay, granite and other stone of a good quality for building, are abundant.
The above is a view from the north-west of the central part of the town, on the bank of Saw-mill river, showing the two churches, and some other buildings in the vicinity. In 1837, there was $6,000's worth of scythe-snaiths and $3,000's worth of palm-leaf