te plac, in consideration of 'two hundred fathom of wampum ad fifty-seven pounds worth of trading goods.' It was signed wth the marks of the grantors, and witnessed by Jonathan Hunt, Preserved Clap, William Clark, Jr., Peter Jethro, Joseph Atherton, and Israel Chauncey." "The planters built small huts, and covered them with thatch ; made a place for public worship ; and built a stockade and fort."
A great part of Northfield is excellent land, particularly several valuable intervals on both sides of Connecticut river. The village of Northfield is situated on an elevated plain, rising above the meadows on the Connecticut. The main street runs parallel with the river, and is about a mile in length ; it is wide, and ornamented with shade trees. The houses are handsomely built. There are two churches and an academy in the village.
Southern view in the central part of Northfield.The above is a southern view in the central part of the village, showing the Unitarian church and some other buildings, with the shade trees ; the whole intended to give a characteristic view of the appearance of the village. This place is about 12 miles from Greenfield, 12 from Brattleborough, Vt., 16 from New Salem, 13 to Montague, 78 to Hartford, Ct., and 78 to Boston. Population, 1,605. Very little is done in the manufacturing business at present in this town.
Northfield has suffered much from the horrors of Indian warfare and bloodshed. Upon the opening of Philip's war, Northfield, being a frontier settlement, was much exposed to the attacks of the enemy. In the beginning of September, 1675, nine or ten people were killed in the woods at Northfield ; others escaped to the garrison-house. The day after this took place, and before it was known at Hadley, Capt. Beers, with thirty-six mounted infantry, was detached by Major Treat, to convoy provisions to the garrison and people at Northfield. Beers' route led through the present