North view of Congregational Church, Longmeadow.
sant village. The village is built on one wide level street, which passes through the town, following the course of the Connecticut, on the first rise of ground above the meadows, which extend the whole breadth of the town from north to south. The distance from the street to the river is generally about one mile. Distance, 4 miles south of Springfield, 22 north of Hartford, 97 south-westerly from Boston. There are 3 churches, 2 Congregational and 1 Baptist. The Baptist and one of the Congregational churches are in the eastern part of the town, called East Longmeadow. An extensive range of forest lands extend from north to south through the town, a little eastward of the main road. The western part of the township is generally level and free from stones. Population, 1,251.
The first minister of the place was Rev. Stephen Williams, who was ordained here in 1716. He was a son of Rev. John Williams, of Deerfield, and was carried captive with his father to Canada. He served as chaplain in three campaigns, and received the degree of D.D. from Dartmouth college in 1773. He died in 1782, in the 90th year of his age, and 66th of his ministry. Dr. Williams was succeeded by Rev. Richard Salter Storrs, who was settled in 1785. Mr. Storrs died in 1819. The next minister was Rev. Baxter Dickinson, who was ordained in 1823. The first settled Baptist minister in this town was Rev. George B. Atwell, who was ordained in 1822. The Baptist meeting-house is in the eastern part of the town.
"On the 26th of March, [1676,] a number of people from Longmeadow, being on their way to attend public worship in Springfield, escorted by a party of cavalry, were attacked, and two killed and several wounded. As the attack was made from the woods bordering the road, the escort afforded little protection; two women, with their children, falling from their horses during the confusion, were seized by the Indians, and dragged into a swamp in