South-eastern view of Shelburne Falls Village
The Franklin Academy, located in this village, was incorporated in 1823. Two buildings are connected with the institution: one, (the academy) is a brick edifice, 52 feet by 38, and three stories in height. It is seen in the engraving in the distance, with a small tower or steeple on the roof. The other is the house occupied by the principal, and others connected with the academy. It is 80 feet by 30, and stands about 60 rods east of the brick building. The average number of scholars for the last five years has been about 90 each term. Ever since its formation it has been under the charge of Mr. Alden, the Baptist clergymen mentioned above. This place is 4 miles from the center of the town, 9 from Greenfield, 25 from Northampton, and 100 from Boston. Population, 1,018. In 1837 there was one woollen mill; 1 scythe manufactory, which manufactured 7,200 scythes, the value of which was $9,400. Fifteen hands were employed in the manufacture of scythe snaiths; capital invested in this manufacture was $10,000. There were 6,000 palm-leaf hats manufactured, valued at $1,000. The value of wool produced in the town was $4,500; boots and shoes, $4,000.
THIS town was incorporated in 1761. The town was first settled mostly by people from Sudbury, in 1754, and was at that period called Road Town. The land is uneven, encumbered with stones, and the soil is generally of an inferior quality. The Rev. Abraham Hill, the first Congregational minister, was settled here in 1742. Imbibing political sentiments hostile to the American cause, Mr. Hill was alienated from his people, and was regularly dismissed, in 1778; the church was reduced to one member. It