organized from their own number a church to form a settlement in Granville, Ohio. This colony laid the foundation of one of the most respectable churches in Ohio, and now consists of about 400 members. The church in West Granville likewise organized a church which settled in Charlestown, in the same state; this is also in a flourishing state.
THIS town was formerly a part of Brimfield. It was incorporated as a town in 1796. The Rev. Ezra Reeve, the first Congregational minister, was settled here in 1765. He died in 1818, at the age of 85. The next minister settled here was Rev. Enoch Burt. James Sandford, who succeeded Mr. Burt, was installed here in 1831. Besides the Congregational, there is a Baptist church in the place. In 1837 there was one cotton mill, having 1,024 spindles; it consumed 20,902 lbs. of cotton; 104,512 yards of cloth were manufactured, valued at $10,451 20; males employed, 12; females, 17; capital invested, $15,000. Population, 495. Distance, 20 miles from Springfield, and 70 from Boston.LONGMEADOW.
THIS place was originally a part of Springfield; its Indian name was Masacksick. It was incorporated as a distinct precinct in 1713, when there were a little less than 40 families. It was incorporated as a town in 1783. "It is not known exactly at what period the settlement commenced in this town, but probably as early as 1644. Among the earliest settlers were Benjamin Cooley, George Colton, (known in the records by the name of quarter-master Colton,) and John Keep. These persons were the ancestors of all the families of their respective names in this part of the country. The original settlement in what is now Longmeadow began in the meadow near the bank of the river. In 1703 there was a petition from the inhabitants to the town, that, on account of the danger which they were in from floods, and some other inconveniences attending their situation, they might be permitted to move out of the general field, and build on the hill, about half a mile east of the river. This petition was granted, and the town voted to give them 'the land from Pecowsic brook to Enfield bounds, and from the hill eastward of Longmeadow, half a mile further eastward into the woods.'"
The soil of Longmeadow is fertile, and the inhabitants are almost exclusively devoted to agricultural pursuits. The principal village is pleasantly located near the east bank of Connecticut river. The following cut is a northern view of the first Congregational church, and exhibits the characteristic scenery of the plea