he got out of sight of them, he saw one mount the same horse which was afterwards found, and ride him up the hill into the woods, while the other stood with a new cudgel in his hand leaning upon the wall. The same persons, according to the description, were soon after observed travelling in great haste towards Springfield. We are happy to learn that his excellency Governor Strong issued a proclamation offering a reward of five hundred dollars for the detection of the villains, and that the high sheriff of Hampshire county greatly interested himself in taking measures to detect them, which we learn have proved effectual, and the murderers are both committed to gaol in Northampton. (See Northampton.)
HAMPSHIRE COUNTY was incorporated in 1662, and embraced at that time the three counties of the state which are centrally intersected by Connecticut river. Before its division it was the largest county in the state, and Northampton, being in the central part, was a shire town. The county was divided into three by the legislature of 1811 and '12. Franklin county was formed from the northern section, Hampden the southern; Hampshire, the central part, retained the original name. The surface of Hampshire is generally hilly, and in some parts mountainous. The land in the western part of the county gradually rises, and its western border lies on the summits of the Green Mountain range. The Lyme and Mount Tom ranges of mountains begin in this county, and continue to the ocean, on the southern shore of Connecticut. The soil is of very unequal quality, being best in the center, and growing less and less fertile towards the eastern and western extremities. There are, however, fine interval lands on the banks of the Connecticut, being some of the best lands in the state.
The following is a list of the towns, which are 23 in number.
In 1820, the population of this country was 26,447; in 1830, it was 30,210; in 1837, it was 30,413.
THIS town was originally in a precinct of Hadley, called "Hadley East or Third Precinct." It was incorporated as a town in 1759. The first church was organized, and Rev. David Parsons, the first minister, was settled Nov. 7th, 1739; he died in 1781, and was succeeded by his son, Rev. David Parsons, D. D., who was ordained in 1782. "The ministers who belonged to the council which ordained Dr. Parsons, were the Rev. Messrs. Robert Breck,